About Clean Energy States Alliance (CESA)
The Clean Energy States Alliance (CESA) is the leading US coalition of state energy organizations working together to advance the rapid expansion of clean energy technologies and bring the benefits of clean energy to all.
Our Vision is to ensure that state-led efforts advance a just transition to 100% clean energy by 2050.
Established in 2002, CESA is a national, member-supported nonprofit that works with its members to develop and implement effective clean energy policies and programs. CESA’s members—primarily state energy agencies representing 18 states and the District of Columbia—include many of the nation’s most innovative, successful, and influential implementers of clean energy policies. Together, CESA and its members perform an essential role in moving the nation from fossil-fueled electricity generation to affordable clean energy.
CESA facilitates the expansion of state clean energy policies, programs, and innovation, with an emphasis on renewable energy, energy storage, energy equity, and resiliency. To advance its mission, CESA:
- Develops strategic partnerships. CESA creates forums, nationally and internationally, that foster collaboration between its member states and federal executive branch agencies, European government agencies, national energy labs, community-based and energy justice organizations, and the private sector. By convening its state members, along with experts and stakeholders, CESA creates partnering opportunities to accelerate offshore wind, energy storage, low-income solar, 100% clean energy, building decarbonization, and other clean energy technologies and policies.
- Manages state-focused learning exchanges. CESA provides peer-to-peer opportunities for state clean energy program managers to 1) share information and identify best practices; 2) engage in joint efforts to create and advance successful policies and programs; and 3) contribute to and gain the collective insights of colleagues across the country who are striving to turn zero-carbon and energy equity goals into reality.
- Leverages multi-state projects. CESA enables states to leverage resources and improve their projects and programs by serving as a hub for facilitating funding proposals to support collaborations among states.
- Expands the benefits of clean energy. CESA works with state agencies and community-based organizations to identify barriers to clean energy access and advance strategies for overcoming those barriers, so that state programs directly benefit low-income and environmental justice communities.
- Delivers technical assistance. With decades of experience, CESA’s knowledgeable staff provide targeted assistance and programmatic support to help CESA members achieve their clean energy goals.
- Educates the wider clean energy community. Through its authoritative publications, timely newsletters, and well-attended webinars, CESA shares research findings, clean energy best practices, new policy ideas, and the perspectives of leading clean energy experts with a large audience of government officials and other stakeholders.
- Represents the interests and highlights the success of state clean energy programs in national and regional forums. CESA works to amplify the work of its members through presentations, reports, blogs, social media, the State Leadership in Clean Energy Awards, and outreach to federal agencies, industry, and advocates.
CESA is supported by its members, foundations, and the U.S. Department of Energy.