2017 National Summit on RPS
Tuesday, November 7, 2017 to Wednesday, November 8, 2017
The 2017 National Summit on Renewable Portfolio Standards took place on November 7-8 at the Westin Crystal City Hotel in Arlington, VA. Attending the annual RPS Summit is the best way to learn about developments and trends related to state RPSs and to network with many of the people from across the country who are most engaged in implementing and analyzing state RPSs.
The RPS Summit is hosted by the Clean Energy States Alliance (CESA), with funding support from The Energy Foundation and the U.S. Department of Energy.
As in past years, the first day was open to all individuals interested in RPS issues; the second day was restricted to representatives of state governments and the federal government, so that they could share experiences, ideas, and common problems.
The Summit agenda is available here.
Guest speaker and participant bios are available here.
Presentation slides are available at the links below.
- Ryan Wiser, Senior Scientist, Electricity Markets and Policy Group, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL (slides)
U.S. Department of Energy Initiatives and Activities
- Katie Jereza, Deputy Assistant Secretary, Transmission Permitting and Technical Assistance Division, Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability, U.S. DOE (slides)
Interactions between RPS Markets and Voluntary Markets
- Jenny Heeter, Senior Energy Analyst, Market and Policy Impact Analysis Group, NREL (slides)
- Todd Jones, Senior Manager for Policy and Climate Change Programs, Center for Resource Solutions (slides)
- Tom MacKenty, Manager, Business Development and Operations, SRECTrade (slides)
Electricity Market Trends and Possible Implications for RPS Programs
RPS Developments and Best Practices
- Massachusetts: “Renewable Thermal Generation Units in the Massachusetts Alternative Portfolio Standard,” Samantha Meserve, Renewable Thermal Program Coordinator, Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources (slides)
- Washington: “Conflicts among RPSs, Carbon Regulation, and Voluntary Renewable Programs,” Glenn Blackmon, Senior Energy Policy Specialist, Washington Department of Commerce (slides)
Tracking Systems: Recent Developments & Planned Improvements
- Benjamin Gerber, Executive Director, Midwest Renewable Energy Tracking System, Inc. (slides)
- Lars Kvale, Head of Business Development, APX, Inc. (slides)
Communicating RPS Policies and Successes
About the RPS Collaborative
The RPS Collaborative was established to advance dialogue and cooperation among a broad network of government officials, NGO experts, and industry representatives. The RPS Collaborative is managed by the Clean Energy States Alliance.